Discover Battisborough House in South Devon
Battisborough House, nestled in the breathtaking coastal countryside of Devon, with panoramic views of the sea. It offers an idyllic setting for residential trips for schools, large group/family holidays, event hire, team-building activities, and retreats. With its captivating views, expansive grounds and facilities, and access to the picturesque Mothecombe beach just a walk away, Battisborough House is truly unique. The historic ocean city of Plymouth and the rugged National Park of Dartmoor are waiting to be explored a brief drive away, making Battisborough House an unbeatable choice.
Why Choose Battisborough House?
Experience the enchanting combination of relaxation, engaging activities and thrilling adventures throughout the year for both schools and guests alike. Situated in an ideal location near the A38, the house enjoys a secluded position amidst the awe-inspiring countryside and coastline of the South Hams. Once you arrive at Battisborough House, you’ll find yourself enveloped in tranquility, with little need to venture further by car thanks to the abundance of magical things to do available right on your doorstep.
Enjoy the grounds and seaside
Sit back and relax in the extensive grounds gazing out to sea, play a little tennis, organise teams for a croquet match or a lively game of football. Leave the grounds on foot for the beauty of coastal walking to the local pub, canoeing, sailing or cycling. Take a refreshing swim in the sea, explore the rock pools or just go beachcombing.
Set sail for Plymouth
Perhaps visit the historic city of Plymouth where over four hundred years ago the Mayflower set sail for America. Take a boat and explore the haunted tunnels on Drake’s Island. Learn more about Plymouth from a visit to the new award-winning Box Museum, or connect with the ocean at the UK’s largest aquarium.
Dartmoor is on your doorstep with wild open moorlands, deep river valleys and of course the wild Dartmoor ponies. There’s so much to do and see, we’ve no doubt you will be back for more!
School Residential trips
Battisborough House is laid out over 3 floors with rooms on the second and third floors for up to 8-10 staff in 6 rooms, 4 of which are ensuite. The children have dormitory rooms with a mixture of normal and bunk beds for up to 40 children with numerous bathrooms.
For holiday rentals, only the first and second floors are available, sleeping up to a maximum of 24 guests in a mixture of ensuite and dormitory rooms.
Renting Battisborough House
Available to all
- On the ground floor, there are two living rooms, a large dining room, and a big cosy kitchen, all connected by a huge hallway. There is a laundry room and drying room. Dogs are also welcome.
Residential Trips for Schools
- Battisborough House is laid out over 3 floors with rooms on the first and second floors for up to 8-10 staff in 6 rooms, 4 of which are ensuite. The children have dormitory rooms with a mixture of normal and bunk beds for up to 30 children with numerous bathrooms. Larger groups can be accommodated with the provision of camp beds and glamping.
Holiday rentals, retreats and functions
- For holiday rentals, retreats and functions, only the first and second floors are open, sleeping up to a maximum of 24 guests in a mixture of ensuite and dormitory rooms.
The Old Pottery
- Once a local artist’s workshop, it’s now been refurbished into a delightful studio space for meetings, conferences, yoga classes, dance classes, art classes and private functions. Perfect for group retreats.
- Enjoy the six acres of gardens and woodlands overlooking the sea with a wildflower meadow and a campfire area within the cool cover of the woods. There’s a playing field with football nets and a tennis/basketball court not to mention a croquet set. The store room is fully stocked with sports equipment for your use.
Find out more
Residential Trips for Schools
Ideally suited for children from Year 4 to Year 8. A stay at Battisborough House is packed full of learning potential. Explore the cliff paths or participate in activities such as archery, shooting, team games, tennis, bushcraft, building campfires, camping, drama, arts and crafts. Children will have a chance to learn core skills, bond as a team and develop confidence and leadership all in an atmosphere of adventure and fun.
Large Family House Parties
Battisborough House is the perfect seaside holiday rental for large group accommodation with stunning sea views for large groups of friends, families or reunions. This large holiday house has plenty of space for up to 24-30 guests. Available on a self-catering basis, but we can offer full catering depending on your needs. Beach, pub and local villages within walking distance. Bed linen and towels are provided. Dogs welcome too!
Event and Retreat Hire
Battisborough House also welcomes those looking for peace and tranquillity. It’s a stunning location for meetings, private parties, conferences, yoga or dance classes as well as wellness or art retreats and workshops. The Old Pottery has been developed into a lovely studio space equipped with a large screen television and sound system for lectures, meetings or film nights, along with a small kitchen and toilet/shower area.
On offer at Battisborough House
- A superb self-catering or catered, comfortably furnished holiday home
- Ample accommodation for large families or groups of friends
- Stunning coastal scenery where children can run free
- A campfire area to cook up a feast or help the children build dens in the woods
- A residential outdoor activity centre for school trips
- An attractive, well-equipped function room for corporate meetings or events
- A tranquil yoga space or fitness class venue
- Venue for Wellbeing or Teambuilding Retreats
- Beach within walking distance
- Tennis/basketball court, football field and croquet lawn
- Large garden with flower meadow
- Woodland to explore
- Private access to the South West coast path
- Local pub within walking distance
- Walkable distance to the local villages of Noss Mayo and Newton Ferrers
- Walk to the Surfing Cow Ice Cream parlour next door on a working farm
- Enjoy the surfing cow maize from July to the end of the summer holidays
- Dedicated drying room for wet suits and damp coats
- A bespoke chef for schools can also be booked for holiday guest rental